Today’s episode is getting into the spirit of the season – it’s all about something that would be VERY scary if it happened and you weren’t prepared to overcome it! There are a lot of scary realities in business but this one, thankfully, is pretty easy to guard against if you know what it is and what to do about it. So that’s what today’s episode is going to help you with.
In this episode I’m addressing the reality that we all too often get attached to free platforms (like Instagram) for promotion and advertising and connecting to our audience. We often let diversity slip away because we are having too much fun! This is a huge pitfall and massive mistake that can pretty easily be avoided. Fun is great, but for business, the work has to work.
Let’s not get tricked into giving too much to a free platform that we have no control over. Do NOT give your power to another entity that can be fickle, owes you nothing, and that you do not own or control. I repeat: do not!
This episode includes:
- Reminders about the realities of free platforms we all love to use
- Yes, that includes Instagram, sorry.
- Also includes Facebook but most of you primarily use Instagram
- The ways in which you could experience a very scary situation on these platforms
- Me telling you that yes you can get screwed up if you don’t plan and approach properly and some tips for becoming more resilient
- It’s tough love, but it is indeed love.
- Treats! Because obviously. I mean, really. What kind of a Halloween episode wouldn’t include treats?
To clarify a couple points made in this episode: the more followers you have on IG, the harder it seems to be to reach them. A 3% interaction rate (likes) on IG is pretty good these days. Interaction on emails (opens) is usually closer to 30%! These numbers don’t lie.