Feeling discouraged with Instagram lately? You’re not alone. Lots of people are starting to feel majorly MEH with all of Instagram’s algorithm changes and apparent hit to engagement on accounts.
Now there are LOTS of reasons engagement could be down. Some of these reasons are plan factual – based on how IG currently works. Others would be content or user based. This is a topic for several other days, ha!
This post is a reminder/ meant to provide some insight on the fact that your time might be better spent elsewhere (ahem, Etsy.)
10 Reasons Etsy is more worth your time than Instagram:
1. Posts to Etsy (listings) can only ever GAIN in relevancy, until they are sold out or deleted. Such is not the case on Instagram where a post hits its high point within 24 hours max, usually. Then it’s donezo.
2. Etsy is a selling platform. People are much more likely to go to Etsy when they want to buy something than Instagram. On IG, your best bet with a regular account (not a shop account) is to capture people’s attention and make yourself top of mind the next time they want to purchase the sort of thing you sell. Whereas on Etsy, people will go looking to buy, search and purchase.
3. Further, it’s easier for people to purchase from you on Etsy than IG . Again, because Etsy is a selling platform. You do not need to be manually invoicing and tracking inventory.
4. IG is free and open to everyone. Etsy is a much smaller search pool AND is more specific (IG hosts all industries, niches and subject matter, etsy doesn’t. You’re not competing with memes, TV shows, or restaurants on Etsy. Your chances of being found on Etsy are better. Period.)
5. Your chances of being found on Etsy are better also because Etsy’s search system is more powerful and there are more ways to appeal to it.
6. Favorites on Etsy can be public, on Instagram they aren’t beyond the up to the moment ones in the “everyone” feed. That means that majority of the times someone hearts an Etsy listing, a backlink is created to that item. That’s good for you if it’s your item. Most people have public favorites on Etsy.
7. If you put an etsy link in an etsy description, it will remain active. If you put a link in the IG caption, it’s NEVER active.
8. Etsy is just as likely to be explored by influencers, publishers, media folk etc as IG — more likely if they are looking for art/ craft.
9. Etsy listings last longer, have better reach, have a better chance of converting. Etsy listings show up better in Google natively as well.
10. Etsy can still work for you even if you don’t post anything new for a week. Instagram barely would. You know that.
To summarize: if you are feeling deflated by Instagram, you should consider spending more time optimizing Etsy and less time struggling with with short lived IG posts.
Truly. I’m not saying ditch Instagram. Nope, sure wouldn’t say such a thing. What I AM saying is ditch your Instagram stress for some Etsy productivity. Think about it.