Offering Free Shipping on Etsy
The Great Free Shipping Meltdown of 2018 began precisely at the time that Etsy changed their fee structure. It reached a fever point in the fall of 2018 and it’s basically been a hot topic for the past 4 months.
In hindsight, it’s actually a bit surprising to me that free shipping was not as hot of a topic all along as it recently became.
The topic of free shipping for handmade business owners and Etsy sellers was such a widely spoken about matter in maker circles that I knew it had to be addressed here in season 4 of The Merriweather Council podcast.
In this episode:
- When and WHY free shipping became a huge concern for makers in 2018
- The Etsy algorithm implications of shipping price
- Some perspective
- Etsy’s influence and push for free shipping
- My own experience in offering free shipping standard
- The truth about buyer behavior that’s important to remember
- My thoughts and feels on free shipping as a handmade business owner
- My thoughts and feels on free shipping as a consumer of big brands and small brands
- Some of the top concerns surrounding free shipping and commentary on them
I hope this episode helps you make a better decision – or re-evaluate a decision – about offering free shipping in your own store. It’s important to get a broad look at this before committing to anything long term, in my humble opinion anyway.
How are you feeling about the push for free shipping on Etsy? Are you offering it? Why or why not? I’d love to know.
You might also like…
*This post is written and published by The Merriweather Council. The Merriweather Council is not affiliated with Etsy Inc. Etsy is a trademark of Etsy Inc. We write about Etsy, from our own experiences, not for Etsy.